Wednesday, March 9, 2011

First Ashes

Austin (and Allen actually since he is usually flying during the week) attended his first Ash Wednesday service at church.  He did ok-he has discovered his voice, so he does these high pitched shrieks sometimes.  It is very cute, but not in the middle of church.  The priest put ashes on his head! Look at the top part of his head-kind of hard to see.  It was pretty cute though.
He also went to the Pancake Supper last night.  That was a bit overwhelming for him.  He has gotten scared easily lately.  For some reason when people come up to his carrier, and he doesn't know them, it scares him sometimes.  He was excited to see his cousins though, and even got a bottle given to him by William!  I should have taken a picture of that, but I was not quick enough.  I hope he and William grow up to be best friends.  Right now, William is enthralled with Austin.  He always tells me Austin wants his pacifier when he cries.  Usually, he is right!  Olivia and Meg think Austin is pretty cute, too, and it is adorable to watch them make him laugh.  I think he enjoys them as much as they enjoy him.

Pancake Supper was the first time Allen and I have been in a real "crowd" at church.  We have been going to the evening service on Sunday nights to avoid the crowds and the sympathy.  We walked into the church, and I saw a friend of mine I had not seen in obviously a long time.  She asked me how Jackson was doing-was he still in the hospital, etc.  It took me by total surprise.  It did not upset me like I thought it would.  United Healthcare called today to talk to one of Jackson's guardians.  You would think the insurance company of ALL people would know that Jackson is now in Heaven.  Nope.  The man wanted to tell me that they have RN's available who can answer any questions I have.  Interesting.  This is not the first phone call I have gotten like this.  I think they should check their records before making phone calls like that. 

Austin is starting to get more hair-looks like it is coming in lighter.  We are wondering if it will be blond like Jackson's was.  Austin's eyes look like they are going to be brown.  He has the biggest, most handsome eyes.  It is so fun to see him jsut look around and take everything in.  I think he laid on our bed for an hour this morning watching the ceiling fan. 

The church has finally sealed up Jackson's grave in the columbarium.  They put a temporary tag on there that has his full name and 2010 on it.  I thought it would make me very sad to see his name in print.  Oddly, it kind of mad me proud.  It has been so nice to be able to go to church three times so far this week and spend a little time with Jackson. 

I think we are finally ready to take down Jackson's crib.  Mom had a great idea for us to put one of the bookshelves I had as a child in the place where his crib is.  She also ordered Austin a little blue chair with his name on it, so that would take up some room, too.  It will be nice to get the room organized and finally make it Austin's room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment