Friday, February 18, 2011

Additions to Heaven

It has been a few weeks since I last posted.  A lot has happened.  The day after I posted about Austin and I visiting my grandmother, she went downhill quickly.  It was as if she waited to meet Austin and hold him before going to Heaven.  Mom, Austin, and I had a great visit that Saturday, so we were so surprised when Dad went to visit on Sunday and said she was in bed and not doing well.  The nursing home thought she had a stroke, so they sent her to St. Thomas.  When my brother and I arrived, she looked really pale, but she was talking to us telling me how happy she was she met Austin, how glad she was to see my brother's children earlier that day, etc.  They transfered her to a regular room from the ER.  When we went in the room, we all knew it wouldn't be long before she went to Heaven.  She told me she was not in pain, and that she was worn out.  She held our hands and squeezed them.  The nurses made sure she was comfortable, and the chaplain came in and said a prayer for her.  It was starting to snow outside, and the roads were getting really bad.  Austin was at home with our night nanny.  The nurses told us that she could last 20 minutes or 2 weeks.  No one knew.  Her breathing started getting very shallow, and it seemed like the time was near.  It was about 2 am, and we were all deciding what to do.  After awhile, we all decided that it was best for some of us to go home.  I am sleep deprived as it is with Austin, and it would be a long few days with my grandmother.  My mom stayed with my grandmother, as she always has-my mother has always been so devoted to taking care of my grandmother.  I gave her a hug and a kiss and told her I loved her.  We had hardly even pulled out of the parking lot, when my mom called to tell me that she was passed away.  Mom told Grandma to go on and go to Heaven-that Jackson was waiting on her.  Mom said shortly after she told her to go, Grandma peacefully took her last breath.  It was as if she was waiting for all of us to leave.  She did not want me to be there and see her take her last breath so soon after seeing Jackson take his.  I miss her so much. 

We headed to New Albany, Indiana for her funeral the next weekend.  Austin's first road trip!  He did great on the car ride up there.  He did not do so well sleeping in the hotel room.  It was a rough night for all three of us.  The funeral was the next day at the local funeral home.  We have a wonderful friend, who took great care of Grandma.  She looked beautiful in the dress she wore to her 90th birthday party.  Her makeup was beautiful-she would have been so glad.  Her hair looked great, too-she was always so worried about her hair.  Mom even made sure she had hose on to keep her warm.  She always wore knee high hose, which she said kept her warm.  Personally, hose have never offered any warmth to me.  We had a nice service, with an extra special homily given by my dad.  He talked about the importance of family and how much he appreciated everything his mom did for her.  She would have been so proud of him. 

We headed to Birmingham the next day to stay for the night.  We went over to Allen's sister's house for dinner.  It was great to spend some time with family.  Our nieces, Julianne and Rachel, were a huge help with Austin.   We went to Perdido Key to visit Allen’s parents for a few days before we headed to Destin with my parents.  It was just the trip we needed-to get away from everything here.  We had a great two weeks away from life in Nashville. 

1 comment:

  1. I miss grandmother too she was such a sweet little lady but I know her and baby Jackson are having such fun.

    ReplyDelete